BackTrack is a GNU/Linux distribution distributed as a Live DVD aimed at digital forensics use and penetration testing
BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.
- BackTrack includes many well known security tools including:
- Metasploit integration
- RFMON Injection capable wireless drivers
- Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal)
- BeEF (Browser Exploitation Framework)
- Cisco OCS Mass Scanner A very reliable and fast scanner for Cisco routers with telnet/enable default password.
- Quypt (Terminal Emulator) (which is private software by Crimson Hacking group, which has leaked to the Mainstream) Blackhat
- A large collection of exploits as well as more commonplace software such as browsers.