FTK® Imager is a data preview and imaging tool that lets you quickly assess electronic evidence to determine if further analysis with a forensic tool such as Access Data® Forensic Toolkit® (FTK) is warranted. FTK Imager can also create perfect copies (forensic images) of computer data without making changes to the original evidence. With FTK Imager, you can:
- Create forensic images of local hard drives, floppy diskettes, Zip disks, CDs, and DVDs, entire folders, or individual files from various places within the media.
- Preview files and folders on local hard drives, network drives, floppy diskettes, Zip disks, CDs, and DVDs
- Preview the contents of forensic images stored on the local machine or on a network drive
- Mount an image for a read-only view that leverages Windows Explorer to see the content of the image exactly as the user saw it on the original drive
- Export files and folders from forensic images.
- See and recover files that have been deleted from the Recycle Bin, but have not yet been overwritten on the drive.
- Create hashes of files using either of the two hash functions available in FTK Imager: Message Digest 5 (MD5) and Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA-1)
First Download FTK Imager From here and install in your pc.
ADD Evidence Item
Click on Add Evidence Item to add evidence from disk, image file or folder.
Now select the source evidence type as physical drive, logical drive or image file. We have selected image file and click on next.
Select virtual drive image & click on open option.
Select the source path and click on finish.
Now select Evidence Tree and analyze the virtual disk as physical disk.
Similarly to add raw image select again add evidence item and click on image file and click on open option.
Click on finish.
Now raw image will be added as physical drive to analyze.
Mounting an Image as a Local Drive
To mount an image file, click on Image Mounting option.
Select virtual drive image.
Select Mount Type, Drive Letter and Mount Method and click on mount option.
Now it will show the virtual drive.
Now select the image file to mount image to drive.
Click on button “Capture Memory” how the picture below:
On the next window choice the directory to storage the extracted files, and click on the button “Capture Memory”
Wait for the process finish.
A memory dump file will be created on the source directory.
Create RAW Image
Now open the FTK Imager and Click on Create Disk Image
Now a “Select source” box will open and choose “Physical Drive” click NEXT
Now choose the drive of the Suspect Evidence you want to make image.
After choosing the Drive Click on finish to Start Creating Image of Suspect Evidence
(Note: choose option “Verify images after they are created”)
Now in Select Image Type Choose “Raw (dd)” and click on NEXT
Now In” Evidence Item Information” Fill the Following attributes, as you can see some random information given can be random as per the Suspects Evidence. Click NEXT
Now choose the location of the image you want to create and Name the Image Filename. And click on FINISH
Now in final Step Click START button to start Creating Image.
Successfully the Suspects Evidence Image Is Created .Now you can audit the Suspects evidence from the image Created from FTK Image.
Author: Mukul Mohan is a Microsoft Certified system engineer in security and messaging .He is a Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist with high level of expertise in handling server side operations based on windows platform. An experienced IT Technical Trainer with over 20 years’ Technical Training experience you can contact him email@example.com